The City of Timmins is northeastern Ontario’s fourth largest city and one of Canada’s major centers of mining. Local legends say that in 1909, a Porcupine Lake prospector named Harry Preston skidded on a moss-covered rocky knoll and revealed a massive vein of gold, setting off the great northern Ontario Porcupine Gold Rush of 1909-1911. The company town that sprang up to house the miners became known as Timmins. Over the next hundred years, over 50 mines in the area produced 70 million ounces of gold making this region Canada’s greatest gold producer.
In 1973, 35 townships covering 1,260 square miles (including Porcupine, South Porcupine, Schumacher, and Timmins) were organized into the City of Timmins.